FIFA Women’s Worldcup 2023: 5 of The Best Ads So Far (Updated July 2023)
The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 has arrived, igniting a global frenzy. Fans around the world are excited, ready to witness a celebration of talent, unity, and the indomitable spirit of football.
An exciting tournament like this one means that all eyes are on the TV and the streaming networks where fans can catch the action live. And with this streaming comes the opportunity for advertising. It’s like a canvas for brands to paint a beautiful picture of their brands through storytelling. Today, we are going to look at some brands that managed to adorn this canvas with their head-turning awe-inspiring ads.
Yes, we have rounded up some of the most popular FIFA Women’s World Cup ads from brands around the world and the marketing lessons they bring with them. There has been a long lineup of FIFA ads so far but we have shortlisted 5 of them with unique message delivery, and relevance to the theme.
Before we discuss the ads let’s quickly take a look at the branding of the FIFA Women’s World Cup to understand how the organization set the stage for the game’s popularity and reach.
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 – a quick look at the branding
- FIFA Women’s World Cup ads that hit the goal
- Create video ads that stand out with KIMP
FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 – a quick look at the branding
The brand identity for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 was unveiled in 2021. Let’s look at a few quick details about the logo that will make you appreciate the design a little more:
- The creative incorporation of the football into the negative space at the center of the logo is a detail no one can miss. And it lays the foundation for the niche.
- It sure is a colorful logo but do you know what the colors mean? They are meant to represent the cities, rainforests, mountains, earth, and water in both the host countries, Australia and New Zealand.
- Symbols have a powerful impact on logo design. And a circle in general is associated with a sense of community therefore making it perfect for a tournament that brings the whole world together. There are 2 circles since there are 2 hosting countries this time.
- If you take a closer look, you’ll notice that there are 32 colorful squares in the logo indicative of the 32 participating nations.
All of these nuances add to the depth of the logo. When you pack so much detail into a logo design what you are doing is telling a story. And this logo perfectly celebrates the purpose of the tournament and the spirit of the game while also honoring the host countries. In short, it accommodates everything that defines the tournament. That’s why we think that the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 logo is brilliant!
To add one more layer and strengthen the brand, an official slogan was also unveiled. “Beyond Greatness” is exactly what the tournament aspires for!!
Now that we have discussed the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 brand identity, let’s dive right into the exciting ads that celebrate the spirit of the game.
FIFA Women’s World Cup ads that hit the goal
Volkswagen – “The Juggle” and “Nailed It”
When creativity meets relevance, you get ads like the duo released by Volkswagen to celebrate the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023. The 2 campaigns have a lot in common but each is unique and memorable in its own way.
The Juggle features American football player Alyssa Thompson juggling her way to her Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport.
And “Nailed It” features Andi Sullivan and Ashley Hatch training only to reveal that the free-kick practice was an attempt to get the ball into the trunk of the new Volkswagen Atlas parked far away from the ground.
Both ads are quite similar in terms of the core message and promotion. In terms of the core message, the intent is to celebrate football and the players. By featuring the players in their fields and throwing the spotlight on their skills, the ad does this perfectly.
From a promotional perspective, the ads are meant to introduce the Volkswagen Atlas and Volkswagen Atlas Cross Sport. By giving a brief glance at the cars this is achieved. Now let’s look at more marketing and design takeaways from the ad in our KIMP Tips.
- The highlights of this ad in terms of the ad design will be the seamless product placement. The idea of effortlessly introducing the product into the story makes it effective.
- The second factor is the strong copy and the transition capturing the connection namely “No ordinary team… No Ordinary SUV”. This makes the visuals and the copy work together in delivering the message and establishing the brand.
- A new product launch is a major step for a brand. A busy time and a big brand collaboration like the one with FIFA Women’s World Cup is definitely a good opportunity to draw attention to an upcoming product.
Nike – “What the Football”
The fun ad from Nike features some of the most popular players from around the world. What makes the ad truly special is that it lets the players and their skills shine rather than masking them under the brand.
Additionally, the storytelling component in the ad makes it even more effective in connecting with football fans. By capturing the resilience of the sport and the excitement that continues over the decades, the ad manages to win the hearts of football fans around the world.
Another element that adds strength to the ad is the power of nostalgia that the brand evokes by featuring Brandi Chastain. Additionally, this concept with its emotional quotient also appeals to audiences of all age groups considering the broad spectrum of football fans around the globe.
- The Nike FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 ad is proof that light-hearted humor works really well in advertising no matter what niche your business belongs to. And for a brand that targets a diverse range of young audiences, like Nike, humor is a killer ingredient.
- The little detail about the brand being featured on the dad’s jersey from 24 years ago and on some of the sports jerseys from the current year is a good one. This shows the long-term relationship between Nike and football and also effortlessly establishes the brand’s longevity and authority in the segment. That’s what you get from having a powerful brand logo that’s also timeless.
Orange ad featuring the French women’s football team
This is one ad that went viral for all the right reasons. And it is strong proof of the kind of positive brand image marketing campaigns can bring to a brand. Take a look at the ad and you’ll instantly understand what makes it special. Wait for the plot twist about halfway through the ad.
You can find the original video in French here, the one that amassed more than 5 million views a few days after its release.
Ads like the one from Orange do not feel like ads since they let the core message take center stage rather than making it all about the brand. It’s for this reason that fans instantly fall in love with these ads.
- Add an element of surprise (like the CGI reveal in this ad) and your ad will win in the battle for attention.
- If you want your ad to work, lay down a strong purpose for your ad, or a cause to stand for and curate a story or an idea that supports this idea honestly. The key is to make people fall in love with the message rather than the brand. Of course, falling in love with the brand happens automatically once your audience understands and acknowledges the message in it.
Google Pixel #FixedOnPixel featuring Megan Rapinoe
If you have been following the campaigns and video ads for the Google Pixel line you already know that the specialty of these ads is that they are simple and effective. They often pick up one core feature and highlight it in the most fun and relatable ways. The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 ad for Google Pixel was no different. Just that this one featured American football player Megan Rapinoe.
The ad plays by the rules and focuses on the “Fixed On Pixel” campaign that highlights the brilliant image processing capabilities of the phone. For the nostalgia element, this one adds an adorable childhood picture of Megan Rapinoe which is sure to awe all her fans. The way the brand managed to effortlessly position the product into Megan Rapinoe’s lifestyle makes the message easy to grasp.
- This ad from Google is proof that celebrity endorsements work for brands of all sizes and industries. The key is to identify the most relevant celebrities, famous football players in this case.
- If you are looking to establish a long-term relationship with your audience, come up with campaign ideas that can be personalized and repurposed to suit the occasion. In this case, it is the Fixed On Pixel campaign which is a well-defined reminder of the brand itself, and therefore the ad evokes brand recognition.
Adidas – Play Until They Can’t Look Away
Like Nike, Adidas is also known for its powerful sports-focused ads. And the Play Until They Can’t Look Away ad for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 is one such sports-themed ad that’s a delight to watch.
The ad features 3 famous football players in order to instantly attract the attention of football fans. How many other celebrities did you spot in the ad? The surprise feature of football icons like Lionel Messi and David Beckham adds to the excitement while also effectively conveying the idea of sports communities everywhere coming together to cheer the women’s teams.
- There are several things about the video that make the ad a stunner. One is the vibrant color palette that does justice to the energy and thrill of the game. Then comes the fast-paced transitions aptly supported by the audiotrack. Together they capture the action-packed vibe that the games are anticipated to bring with them.
- As for the brand feature, the logo is subtly plugged into the scenes featured on the players’ jerseys. And the final feature at the outro of the video. But this idea works because, with fan-favorite football players featured throughout the ad and the many twists and turns and changes of scenes, you do not want to miss a moment. And when all your attention is on the screen, planting the brand through the logo is a smart move.
Need help designing a strong and catchy logo for your brand or brand videos that subtly imprint your logo in the minds of your target customers? Get a KIMP Graphics + Video subscription.
Create video ads that stand out with KIMP
When aired on TV or released on social media, all these video ads manage to evoke a million emotions and earn the respect of football fans everywhere. This happens due to the impact videos have when it comes to brand storytelling.
Another message to take away is to stay up-to-date in the marketing world. When there is an event that the world is celebrating, a tournament that people everywhere are excited about, it makes a good opportunity to boost the visibility of your brand. Initiating a conversation might be tough but joining in one is easier.
As you can see from most of these ads, you do not need lengthy video ads to make an impact. Even short-form videos work well as long as there is a clear message and a relatable way to deliver it. One way to join the league and share the limelight with these brands will be to create stunning video ads for social media to draw the attention of football fans in your target demographics. Need help creating short-form videos for your brand or editing long ones for a more detailed story? Get a KIMP Video subscription.
Register now for a free 7-day trial.