Why You Should Consider Vehicle Wrap Designs
Want to advertise your business all over the city without having to spend thousands of dollars? Think vehicle wrap designs. These are actually a very popular design idea for small businesses. Especially as they get you great visibility without a hefty price tag.
If you cannot afford a billboard ad, no worries. Vehicle wrap designs allow you to have a pretty great alternative – on wheels! And the best part is that the business owner only needs to pay up once for this.
Vehicle wraps are mostly made out of printed vinyl stickers that are rather large. They then get applied to the surface of the vehicle. Designing them can be a bit tricky though. Any designer who takes on this job needs to have, at the very least, an intermediate skill level in graphic design.
You should also do plenty of research and learn about this before you take the plunge. To make things a bit easier for you and give you some guidelines, we have put together what you need to know about vehicle wrap designs.
What are some types of vehicle wrap designs?
To get you started, we are going to take you through some of the most commonly seen vehicle wrap designs.
The Die-cut Vinyl Custom Wrap
This vehicle wrap design is rather affordable and can advertise your brand well. You can get the basics covered with this option. Your name, logo and your brand’s website, allowing them to be transported to wherever your vehicles may go. Since this vehicle wrap is text-based, you’ll want to pay extra close attention to the fonts you’re choosing.
The Partial Vinyl Custom Wrap
This type of design will offer coverage for just a portion of the vehicle. This will usually vary from ⅓ – ⅔ of the vehicle. These types of vehicle wrap designs are great for service vans and other such vehicles. You can display your logo, the name of the brand and the brand colors along with a list of services that you offer.
The Full Vinyl Custom Wrap
Yes, you guessed it right! This type of design will cover the entire vehicle. It is meant to make a loud and bold statement. It allows for a lot of space for you to place your design on, and definitely will catch the eyes of people on the road. The entire body of your vehicles will be merged into one flowing and attractive design. All this without disrupting the visibility you need for driving.
How can you decide whether vehicle wraps are for you?
Here are some of the most important points that you need to consider before you choose this method of marketing for your brand.
How effective are vehicle wrap designs?
- According to ARD Ventures in the US alone, vehicle wraps generate between 30,000 – 70,000 vehicular impressions on a daily basis.
- Perception Research says that mobile advertising is capable of driving 2.5 million times the attention that a static billboard drives.
- In a study that was conducted by the RYP & Becker Group, it was observed that messages on an outdoor billboard bring you a 97% recall rate.
When we consider these stats, it is not very difficult to understand why business owners would want to choose this form of advertising right?
Are vehicle wrap designs only for large companies with massive fleets?
Maybe you don’t own a fleet. But you can still rent out a van, car or truck that is willing to advertise for you. The owners of the vehicles that you rent will have the ability to make an income by allowing you to market your brand on their vehicle. Even though you may be a small business, this type of design will allow you to introduce your logo to many customers and will create the impression of you being a large enough business to have a fleet.
How much will car wraps cost you?
The rough cost based on the type and size of wrap design will be around $1500 – $3500. This includes the costs of:
- Vinyl graphic designs
- Installation by a professional
You will also save up money (if you own a fleet) because you will not have to paint your vehicles time and time again, which costs much more. If you painted these ads on the vehicle you would have to repaint the whole thing in case you were looking to change it. But when you get a custom wrap done, you can change it if needed without damaging the original paint work. Just make sure to get a professional to remove the wrap.
Do vehicle wrap designs perform well against other forms of advertising?
- The Outdoor Advertising Association of America says that wraps reach more customers at a lower price than other forms of advertising.
- Wraps will cost you, on average, about 4 cents/1000 impressions. On the other hand outdoor signs will cost you about $3.56 and newspaper ads about $19.70 per 1000 impressions.
- They can increase the outreach of your marketing campaign by allowing you to display your details in the form of a mobile billboard. For example, if you advertise on a newspaper you will limit yourself to the demographic that reads it. But in this case, you can actually reach anybody from kids to adults easily.
What types of businesses can benefit well from wraps?
Hyperlocal businesses that are reliant very much on local customers and are already using the local methods of advertising can benefit from having wraps. This will allow you to show your brand to more people in the community easily.
Businesses that have fleets will find it easier to get into wrap advertising because you already have the main requirement. Other businesses can rent out vehicles to do the same too, the only difference is that if you already own a few vehicles, you have them at your disposal.
Any business that has to do with the visual industry such as graphic design businesses or marketing businesses, will be able to showcase the work that they do using this type of marketing.
The pros and cons of vehicle wraps
- Doing a complete wrap on a vehicle will still cost you less than a paint job. The affordability therefore, is one of key attractions here.
- There is very little downtime involved. If you are choosing to paint a vehicle, the time that is required for the complete process can range from a few days to a few weeks based on different factors like quality and complexity. The turnaround for a wrap is however much less. Once the vehicle is clean and the design has been finalized, it will simply take a couple of days at the most for a professional installation.
- Because vinyl wraps come in a wide variety of design options, they offer you more diversity than painting. There are even color changing wraps that respond to the angle of light. You can also choose from matte, semi-gloss, gloss or satin versions. In fact you can also mimic the textures of other materials like chrome, leather, stainless steel and carbon fiber.
- The removability of vinyl wraps ensures that if you want to change the ad or if you simply want to get the vehicle back to its original color, you can do so without any damage.
- It also helps to maintain the actual paint of the vehicle and protect it. Supposing you would like to sell the vehicle for any reason, all you need to do is remove the wrap.
- You can implement great digital designs that will completely change the look of your vehicle. All you will need is inspiration and the services of a good graphic designer.
- You must be willing to invest in high quality. There are vinyl wraps that will protect your vehicle and stay durable. There are others that come at a lower price that may not have the same excellent quality.
- You must be willing to invest in the expertise of a professional. Like we said at the start of the blog, vehicle wrap designing needs a certain level of skill. Anything less will not bring you a high quality final look.
- Some may argue that a good paint job brings more quality and depth than a vinyl wrap. But if we take the above points into consideration, the right investment can get you just the right result.
Because of all these pros and cons, it would be helpful for you to also know about the best practices that can get you an amazing vehicle wrap design. That’s what we’ll be looking at next.
Best practices and tips for vehicle wrap designs
Your brand is the character your design needs
Your vehicle with the wrap will become a mobile brand ambassador. It will promote your brand to anybody who sees it. This is the main reason why you must portray the character of the brand in the design. The name of the brand, colors, mascot and slogan along with any services you offer must be clearly displayed.
The design should align with your goals
Usually the goals for these kinds of designs are marketing, organizational development and sales. Because the design will trigger the actions of those who see it, to make that positive outcome happen, it needs to hit the mark just right. If you are looking to increase brand awareness, the design should feature all the details of your brand like we mentioned in the point above. If you want more traffic make sure that the design gives the customer an offer that they cannot say no to.
Maintain consistency on all your channels
Vehicle wrap designs will serve as just one component of your overall marketing strategy. There will be other channels like social media, website, TV, radio or newspaper ads. Because you need to drive one clear message to all your customers, make sure that your marketing is consistent across all these channels. For example, if the vehicle wrap design is completely different to all your other adverts, the customers will not recognize the brand or make the connection.
Make it fit your budget
Vehicle wrap designs are actually rather versatile when it comes to budget limitations. You can still get something high quality done while staying in your budget. The important factor here is that you identify your constraints and plan out the design so that you are staying within what you can afford and still getting a high quality design. For instance, you can try something like a partial wrap, a decal or just lettering if that is what your budget allows for.
Your audience is and should be your muse
You must make sure to focus on your target audience, and customer personas, when you work on your vehicle wrap designs. Your target audience will include customers, prospects, leads, employees and partners. And your vehicle wrap designs must always be designed from the perspective of those who will see it – whether that’s your entire target audience or just a segment. Otherwise they won’t resonate and definitely won’t encourage your audience to keep you top of mind.
So should you invest in vehicle design wraps?
If you believe that your business relies on a local audience, and stands to benefit, then YES! You’ll increase your brand awareness, and increase consideration and conversion. So get cracking on planning out your design concept, and reaching out to potential designer. May we suggest Kimp? 😉
Take into consideration all of the factors that we’ve explained in this post. And make sure that you are not afraid to make a statement when you create your vehicle wrap designs. Remember that you now have the chance to take your brand all over the city and beyond, rather than sticking to just one static billboard. So make the most of it!