Should Your Business Try Unlimited Graphic Design?
If you own any type of business, chances are you need to get your graphic designs done on a regular basis. And you’re looking for efficient ways to do this, without breaking the bank. That’s why you might want to try unlimited graphic design – they’re all about fulfilling the design requirements you have, with consistent turnarounds, at a flat monthly rate.
In this blog we are going to be talking about what exactly unlimited graphic designs services are, the pros and the cons, as well as what you can expect from them.
To start, let’s look at some of the pros and cons of the typical options for graphic design:
You have several options to fulfill your design needs – hiring freelancers, hiring an agency that can help you, in-house employees and using an unlimited graphic design service. Let’s look at each of these options and see whether your business should try unlimited graphic design.
Working with freelancers can come with a lot of perks. For instance, if you just need a one off task completed and have a vetted list of freelancers that you can work with, your design process will be pretty straightforward.
It is important to keep in mind though, that the fees will vary, and you may have issues when it comes to quality and consistency. Especially as you may not always be able to work with the same freelancer(s). You’ll also have to factor in onboarding each time you work with a new freelancer, and that they may not have contingency plans should anything unexpected arise (i.e. they won’t have another team member who can help complete a task per your timeline).
In rare instances you might also face freelancers who up and disappear in the midst of a project.
When you thoroughly vet and hire a design agency you will be able to count on consistency, accountability and high standards. You will also have an agreed upon turnaround time and maybe even rush service options. And a price tag to take this into account. But chances are that price tag won’t involve a flat fee. If you need to customize what you need on a monthly basis, you may incur a lot of additional charges.
While this can be a worthwhile investment depending on the scope of your project, and the expertise of the agency you would like to work with, it does lack flexibility. For instance, if you decide to shift gears with your project or wish to work with another service provider, you may be on the hook for the project fee regardless. If you decide to work with a design agency, be sure to go over any agreements with a fine-tooth comb to know what you’re committing too.
With an in-house designer, you will have the advantage of getting work on time, consistency, and the ability to supervise and work closely with your team members. Before making this investment though, it’s important to evaluate your business’ unique needs. For many small and medium-sized, or bootstrapped business’ this is simply not an option.
Will you have enough recurring projects for them to work on? Do you have the time to recruit and train them? It’s important to consider these questions and measure them against the costs of hiring a full-time employee. If your company’s needs are changing rapidly, and the need for design support varies month to month, you may be better off hiring a designer as you need their services.
Why you should try unlimited graphic design services
With unlimited graphic design services, you will have these advantages:
- Cost-effective – unlimited graphic design services have a flat fee, on a month-to-month basis
- 100% ownership of work completed for you.
- Fixed turnaround times – this means no rush service, and huge savings as a result.
- A dedicated team of professionals who will work closely with you and get to know your brand.
- Consistency and quality of work.
- A flat monthly rate that gives you unlimited graphic designs and unlimited revisions.
- The ability to scale up production quickly and efficiently, by purchasing or canceling additional subscription as required
- A workflow that involves you from start to finish so you can keep track of the progress of your tasks.
What you can get from an unlimited graphic design service
Unlimited design requests per month
You can submit an unlimited amount of requests per month. And designs will be completed at a consistent rate. For example, here at Kimp we aim to deliver 2-3 designs per business day, for things like social media posts and web banners. For projects that come with more varying details, we provide an estimate based on the particular requirements a client has.
So this means you can’t submit 100 requests and expect them to be completed in 2-3 days. BUT, you can get quite a few designs completed for a flat fee that is less much lower than you would pay otherwise.
Unlimited revisions per month and complete ownership
When you submit your requests and the designs get sent to you for review, it is a given that you may require some revisions. With an unlimited graphic design service, you will be able to ask for as many revisions as you need, until you get what you actually need. Once you approve the design, you can download it and its source files. The best part here is that you will get complete ownership of the designs that are made for you, to use as you wish.
Fixed turnaround time
Usually when you try unlimited graphic design, you’ll have turnarounds of 1 – 2 business days for most tasks. And maybe a bit longer if you have a more complex project. Here’s where the benefit of working with a dedicated team comes into play. They’ll get to know your preferences, and you’ll be able to depend on consistent turnarounds.
Flat monthly rate and no contracts
One of the biggest advantages of unlimited graphic design is paying a flat fee, on a month-to-month subscription. This gives you the flexibility to pay only one fee, no matter how many projects you complete. And you can cancel whenever you want.
Dedicated team to work with your brand
The more you get to know the people that you work with, the better the quality and turnaround of the work will be. At Kimp you’ll work with a dedicated team. This means that communication will be effective and that they will get to know your brand(s) well over time.
A transparent process
One of the most appealing reasons to try unlimited graphic design is that you’ll be able to make and manage your design requests through a single platform. Or via email, if you prefer. This means you get to know the status of all the designs you’ve requested. And the sequence in which they’re completed.
Free trials that allow you to get a feel for the work
If you are unsure of what a specific service can offer you in terms of quality, and consistency, test them out! Deciding to work with a new service provider is a bit commitment. So give them a try and see if they’re the right fit for you. Most unlimited graphic design services will provide you with a money-back guarantee. This requires you to pay up front, and then request a refund if you’re not happy with the work. A few services like Kimp, offer free trials as well.
A range of services in addition to graphic designs
Even though we are focusing on unlimited graphic design, it’s important to note that there are usually additional services offered too. For instance, advanced graphics, video animation and editing, or slack integration.
What types of businesses can benefit from unlimited graphic design?
- If you have a business that is a side project, delegating the design component of it can be hugely beneficial. You’ll be able to save time and money and focus on other aspects of your business.
- If you have a bootstrapped business, you likely don’t have a lot of funds available to pay for a lot of full-time staff.
- If you have a startup, and you’re trying to figure out your brand, an unlimited graphic design service could help you go through all the iterations and mockups you need.
- Larger businesses can benefit from unlimited graphic design if they have recurring design needs during particular time frames (i.e. they don’t have a need for a full-time team member).
- If you run an agency you can try unlimited graphic design to outsource your design tasks. This way, you will be able to focus on onboarding and managing relationships with clients.
- If you are a freelancer, you could try unlimited graphic design to help you scale up your production during busy periods of time.
How can you make the most of an unlimited graphic design subscription?
- Make sure that your designer(s) know exactly what your brand is about, your requirements, vision and objectives.
- To make work easier for the designer and to maintain consistency, share as much as you can! We’re talking brand assets, colors, style guide and any other relevant information.
- Be clear about what your preferences are in terms of design and share some examples for reference.
- In order to pick the right subscription, think of the range of tasks that you have and reach out to different service providers to find out if they can handle them.
- If you want a faster turnaround, make sure that you provide highly detailed descriptions for each request. Screen recordings and screenshots can go a long way here.
- When your designer(s) knows what exactly you are looking for, it makes for fewer revisions.
What to look for when you compare your options
- The price – the majority of services will give you a monthly rate of between $200 – $1500. Choose the one that you know you will be able to pay for, even if the business is on the slow side.
- Services that are provided – make sure they’re in line with your needs.
- How many concurrent tasks are handled? Concurrent tasks are the number of tasks done at one time. Check how many are accommodated according to the plan you select.
- Turnaround times – these can vary quite a bit. So you’ll want to make sure the option you choose works well with your requirements.
- What are the channels for communication? Most of these services will provide a dashboard where requests are managed. Others will only allow for you to communicate via email or even Slack.
- Portfolio – always check the samples of work that has been done previously by the service that you choose. This way you’ll get to know the design styles and the level of expertise to expect.
Ready to try unlimited graphic design?
After you’ve reached out to make your inquiries, and check out portfolios, it’s time for some test runs. Nothing beats seeing how a service fits into your workflow. And better yet, if you can do that test run with a free trial. At Kimp we offer a 7 day free trial that allows you to make 3 requests to test out the service. So if you’re ready to try unlimited graphic design, we’re ready to design for you! Sign up here and you’ll get 20% off your first month, after the free trial!